Parenting Resolutions

Parenting Resolutions. It’s that time again, when everyone uses the excuse of a new year to forgive themselves for the people they’ve been for the past twelve months, and to make a list of miraculous changes that will somehow transform them the second after they drunkenly yell, “Happy New Year!” I too participate in this tradition of self-deception. But this year, I’m going to succeed with my resolutions, gosh darnit! Because this year, my resolutions aren’t just about me, they’re about my family.

Top 5 Parenting Resolutions

1) Add Some Crazy to Date Night:

Like many parents, my wife and I feel less-and-less like lovers, and more like co-CEO’s of Babies, Inc. We currently have a date night, which 90% of the time results in going to a movie. My resolution for the coming year is to lure my wife into illegal and dangerous/exciting situations on our date nights. I want to be clear that I’m not talking about anything that would hurt anyone, or do any real, serious damage. I’m talking about paying to see one movie, but then sneaking into a second one; or walking into hotels and taking the apples from the breakfast buffet—even if we aren’t staying there. And I resolve to start making out with my wife more, and in public. I’m sure my wife will want to up her cuddle time. And I’m cool with that—so long as we’re laying in the bushes of a freeway underpass. It may sound crazy and wrong, but nothing reignites passion like committing minor transgressions.

2) Carry Less Gear:

Our car’s trunk is currently packed with three strollers—a double, and two singles, plus two baby Bjorns, and enough stuffed animals to start a zoo. We also have a gigantic canvas bag full of everything from Cheerios to sani-wipes. Going somewhere with the twins is like mobilizing an infantry division. This year, I want to simplify. I don’t exactly know how yet, but I want to use less stuff, and I want the time from deciding to do something with the twins, to actually doing it to go from twenty minutes, down to five.

3) Feed My Kids Food:

Too often fatigue and lack of time conspire to ruin my kids’ diets. They mostly eat well, but I would like to replace the nights in which they eat buttered noodles and graham crackers with a more nutritious and balanced meal. What I’m going to do is, at the beginning of every week, plan for our “tired” day, and prep a meal. Then, when I am to the point where I’d feed my kids toothpaste for dinner, I can make sure they have a good meal that required the same energy to prepare as a not-so-good meal.

4) Not giving a crap (about potty training):

I never thought I’d reach a point where I would stress over another human being’s ability to defecate. But sure enough, my kids are hitting the point where potty training is a big deal. I’m still going to push them to learn how answer nature’s call big-boy style, but I’m not going to get upset if they’re still rocking the diapers a year from now. I have never met a healthy, normally functioning child who failed to master toilet training. I even know a few cats who can do it. So, there’s no sense in pushing. After, all, --it happens.

5) Stop using foul and hurtful language in front of the kids:

Basically, they’re getting to the age where they can repeat stuff. I don’t think I’ve got to list the words, as most of you can use your imaginations. I have no idea how I’m going to stop dropping F-bombs, or using the words “idiot,” and “moron.” But one thing I can do is avoid the people who inspire me to curse, which sadly means that part of my resolution is to not talk to my parents in front of my kids.

Thanks for a wonderful 2009, readers! I wish all of you happy and wise parenting in this New Year! And if there are any resolutions that you think should be on more parents’ lists, sign in and let us know.( msn.com )



No comments:

Post a Comment